EMDR EDUCATORS OF FLORIDA
My Story: Dr. Andrew Dobo, Psychologist
My EMDR story began in 1998, while I was in graduate school. A local therapist came into our school for a presentation on EMDR. She waved her hand in front of a student volunteer’s eyes and reduced his anxiety about an issue in about 15 minutes. I asked him a few weeks later if he still had no anxiety about the issue. He assured me he did not. I never saw anything like it.
Fortunately, one of our professors was trained in EMDR by Francine Shapiro in the early ’90s, when EMDR was in its infancy. He offered a course in it, I took it, and I’ve been using this model of therapy ever since. After twenty years and tens of thousands of EMDR sessions later, it is my privilege to train therapists at this stage of my career.
Our trainings are more than learning a new therapeutic technique for your toolbox.
EMDR has transformed my work and my life. I sought out my own EMDR therapist to dismantle my core belief, “I’m not good enough.” This negative belief was the culprit infiltrating every aspect of my life. Once the cognition shifted to “I am good enough,” everything internally calmed down and a profound sense of okayness and self-acceptance set in. I never felt anything like it. Without doing my own EMDR work, I doubt I would train therapists because I would think I’m not good enough.
EMDR Educators of Florida’s mission is to transform the lives of therapists so they can transform the lives of their patients. It is the journey we’ve taken with incredible results. Let us guide you through this journey to places you never imagined you could go.
OUR MISSION, VISION, AND CULTURE
Our mission is to transform lives.
We inspire clinicians to transform the lives of their clients through empowering and creative trainings. Within a safe and supportive environment clinicians will harness their creativity and explore new transformative skills. These powerful new skills will also add incredible richness to their work.
What does authentic mean exactly? For example, one cannot harbor feelings of inferiority and doubt and be authentic. Inferiority and doubt create a falsification of the true self—the inauthentic self. Our trainings create a safe and supportive environment, so inferiority and doubt are not experienced in the skill building process. If it is, it is normalized and accepted as temporary growing pains. It is never turned into criticism.
Authenticity is the journey the therapist accompanies the client on, it is a destination and the place to start—an alpha and omega moment. Clients will leave their inauthentic self, and only then can the true life begin. Trainees cannot bring a client to a place they do not know. They too must take the journey.
Our trainings take you into the zone of creativity. Creativity drives us; it makes us feel alive and excited about the work. Our trainings foster new skills and new ideas for clinicians. Eliciting creativity in each individual trainee is what makes our trainings exciting. It is that discovering of something that has always been there but hiding in plain sight. It is your gift revealed.
There is a freedom in acceptance. Accepting yourself and your work by being authentically “you” inside and outside of sessions. We accept you where you are in your career and want to help you get to where you are going. Just like you must accept your clients where they are to help them get to where they are going. None of which can be done without flexibility and acceptance.
Our trainings are enjoyable, inspiring and safe, each trainee will feel empowered to use their new skills within the context of being who they are. Our trainings are relaxed yet professional.
Trainees are inspired and excited to go back to their work to start using their new skills. They are excited and inspired to get back to their office to try their new skills. To improve the world one hour at a time. Not a bad way to spend a day.
Perhaps my age and life experience afford me an understanding of the struggle in mastering a new art. This is down with a calm, peaceful and encouraging affectation. Consultees have said to me while they are in session with their clients, “I can hear Dr. Dobo’s voice saying….”
I have a degree in music. Musicians are not always supportive people. I did a lot of EMDR on my music school “juries” yes that is what they’re called—juries. Play for us so we can judge you.
I want my trainings to be the opposite of that experience. Supportive, encouraging, non-judgement but professional.
Encouraging the trainees to be patient with themselves, with their development. We insure our trainers are patient with the trainees accepting them at the stage where they are.
Gwen Forbes-Wolfe, LMHC
Gwen Forbes-Wolfe, LMHC is a friend and colleague. She was one of the first clinicians to be trained in EMDR in the state of Florida. She was first trained in 1990 by Francine Shapiro herself. The first research was published in 1989 so Gwen was one of the EMDR pioneers. She was also a trainer in the early days here in Florida. Recently, she retired from her very successful private practice. She is the most dedicated EMDR therapists I have ever met. She trusts in the process and she taught me to do the same. When she found out I was starting to train therapists it did not take much convincing to bring her out of retirement to be part of the team. I am happy my dear friend and colleague is putting her vast experience and expertise to work training a new generation of EMDR therapists.
(Gwen is going through the process reactivating her EMDRIA Approved Consultant credential. She’ll be ready to go when our trainings begin.)
MARLEEN ROY, LMHC
Marleen Roy is a Licensed Mental Health Counselor in the state of Florida, a professional AAC Life Coach, educator, and Certified Surviving Your Adolescent Trainer. She completed her master’s degree in psychology of counseling in mental health/substance abuse and has a bachelor’s degree in human resource management and elementary education. She is a Professional ADHD/AAC Life Coach through ADDCA (ADD Coach Academy). Her 10 years of experience in classroom teaching in Palm Beach County of students with ADHD, and those without, has provided valuable life experience and information in this field of work. She has worked as a Staff Advocate with the Guardian Ad Litem Program of Palm Beach County advocating for the best interests of children in the courts and has also worked in private agencies as a mental health/substance abuse therapist. She was trained in EMDR therapy in 2009 and currently is an EMDRIA Approved Consultant and Certified Therapist. She is dedicated to her work and to training other therapists in the use of EMDR. We are very happy she agreed to make time in her busy schedule to join our team.
Marleen has maintained a private practice, Life Focus Counseling, Coaching & Educational Services, Inc., over the past nine years in Stuart and Palm Beach County, Florida.
Additional information can be found at lifefocusfl.com.
MELANIE MAHADY, LMHC
Melanie Mahady, LMHC, is one of only a few EMDR therapists in South Florida with the extensive training and experience required to consult and coach in EMDRIA Approved trainings. Melanie is a Certified EMDR Therapist and Approved EMDR Consultant in Training. Her EMDR specialties include complex trauma, recent trauma, attachment issues, and dissociative disorders. She provides therapy for children, teens, and adults as well as consultation and supervision for professionals. We are happy she chose to join our team as an EMDR therapist skilled in working with a variety of populations
DR. PAMELA RINATO
Dr. Pamela Rinato has a unique supervisory style and is a joy to work with, with a gentle and warm, yet firm and professional approach she get the most out of her staff. She has more than twenty-five years of experience in the mental health field, with a background specializing in the treatment of veterans. Most recently she served as head of the Addiction Disorders Treatment Program at the Southern Nevada Veterans Administration Hospital. Prior to joining the Veterans Administration, she spent more than twelve years in private practice in Florida, where she founded a successful intensive outpatient treatment program. She holds a bachelor’s degree in psychology from Barry University, a master’s in social work from Florida International University, and a Doctor of Psychology degree from California University. She holds certifications in Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), as well as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. She is a faculty member of the American College of Addictionology and is an EMDRIA Approved EMDR Consultant.
WHY TRAIN WITH US & WHY CONSIDER EMDR?
Why train with EMDR Educators of Florida? What is so great about my team and me? After all, there are a lot of EMDR courses out there. What is so special about ours?
There are three reasons to join us:
- I doubt anyone is more passionate about EMDR than me and my team. I think my passion is evident in my videos and writings. Feel free to check them out to decide for yourself. (Under “Resources,” see blog and book excerpts, and “Video” on the navigation bar).
- EMDR allows for integration and creativity in the work, which makes it a very fulfilling process. This creativity is often suppressed in the medical model our field has embraced. In our training, creativity is the focus. Learning to put your mark on the work and bringing you into the process is essential. We try to bring the practice of psychotherapy back to how it was meant to be practiced, respecting the medical model but not bowing down to it.
- Finally, and perhaps the most important reason is, we understand. We understand where you are going because we’ve been there. We understand the anxiety about starting a practice with one client. We understand what it’s like to want to help your patients but nothing seems to be working. Let me tell you, EMDR got rid of all of those problems for me. EMDR transforms lives quickly. When you gain the ability to heal and transform rather than just treat, word gets out.
Do you market your practice? I haven’t had to in years. There is not a word on my website about my counseling practice.
EMDR is so effective that word of mouth becomes the most powerful advertising. So if you are looking for an organization that is passionate about EMDR and embraces the idea that therapy is not only a scientific process but a creative one, and finally an organization that understands your plight, you may have stumbled upon a perfect fit.
You have heard you have to find your niche. EMDR is ours. It has been and still is a fulfilling high performing choice for my team and me. EMDR put marketing for our private practices on autopilot because of the incredible results.
Finally, EMDR helped all of our dreams come true. Why don’t you let us help you with yours?
WHAT YOU GET WHEN YOU TRAIN WITH US
- A Training Manual with more than three hundred pages that is an excellent resource for all things EMDR.
- A Practicum Handbook that is task oriented. Everything you might want to say in EMDR sessions is spelled out there very clearly and concisely.
- Access to our documents. Any session-oriented documents you might need are emailed to you so you can have an electronic version for your own use.
- Access to our Facebook community where you can ask any questions and participate in discussion about EMDR and EMDR Educators of Florida.
- You get discounts from Neurotek, the makers of the electronic machines that are used in EMDR processing when you begin doing EMDR.
- Your ten hours of group consultation are provided for only $25 each through us, whereas consultants often charge 100.00 or more per hour for EMDR consultation.
- You will have access to our consultants (who are some of the best I could find). All are well season and experienced clinicians with a variety of clinical experience.
- You will be provided a password and login so you can review all of our training videos as often as you like.
- We provide continued support long after your are finished with our training. We are here to answer any questions and offer guidance throughout your EMDR journey.
- We are happy to help you move up the credentialising ladder if you are interested (i.e., certification, approved constualnt, and even an EMDR coach for trainings).